Search This Blog

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Delivering Bad News Tactfully and Effectively


My assignment this week is to respond to the following scenario:

“You are a department manager in a mid-sized company that provides technology support services. You have ten employees who are required to maintain a high level of technical expertise and deliver excellent customer service. One of your employees, who have been with the company for two years, is performing at a substandard level and you have received numerous complaints from customers and coworkers. In addition, this employee has displayed confrontational behavior which has created a hostile environment. You must now meet with this employee and deliver an ultimatum regarding the need for immediate improvement or dismissal.”

This is certainly a difficult situation for any department manager. This situation has to be approached cautiously because the employee has already displayed signs of confrontational behavior. Therefore, the employee will more than likely become defensive the very moment a meeting is requested. In order to feel like I am not singling the employee out, I would send out a group e-mail, notifying each team member that individual “coaching” meetings will be set up to discuss individual performances (current standings), team performances, quality assurance, and individual performance goals.

Prior to my meeting with this particular employee I would gather all information that I have received from both customers and co-worker’s regarding their performance. I would then gather all work documentation and reports. These documentations and reports will clearly demonstrate the employee has fallen below the guidelines set forth by the company. I would also bring to the meeting a copy of the job description as explained and reviewed upon the employees hire. I feel it is imperative to have supporting documentation when speaking with an employee regarding performance concerns. My preference would to be to meet with this employee towards the end of the work day, so that they may have the opportunity to reflect on the information have received. Many times people tend to not work well, or even worse if a meeting has not gone in their favor. Meetings held at the end of the business day can eliminate any additional disruption to the workday.

I would first begin the meeting with the any positive contributions that the employee has made. But then be very open and honest about the performance and behavior. After reviewing the information with the employee and providing them with the ultimatum, I anticipate the employee will not respond well and will respond in a defensive manner both verbally and non-verbally. As a manager, it is imperative to remain professional and calm at all times. One of the best communication and conflict resolution techniques that I have come across has been the S-TLC System. The system teaches us to stop, think, listen, and communicate. Let’s take a closer looker at the S-TLC System:

Stop. Do not say anything or allow yourself to become upset, which may allow you to lose control. Take a moment to calm down and control your emotions. Controlling your emotions will stop you from doing or saying anything that you will regret later or make the situation worse.  

Think. It’s always best to think before you act! Think and consider not only what concerns you, but what also concerns the other parties involved.

Listen. Before you say anything, listen to what the other person has to say. According to Cahn and Abigail (2012), it is believed that “the ability to truly hear what the other person is saying is as important as what we say in a conflict.”

Communicate. Decide the best way of communication and make it happen! Remember to be open, honest, and understanding.

The S-TLC System allows the manager to take control of the meeting and offer any assistance to the employee as needed. Communicating bad news is never easy and must be done in a tactful manner. As a manager, I would express my desire to want to see the employee succeed, especially with them having a few years of service with the company, however in order for both company and the employee to succeed some things will need to change, immediately. I would explain to the employee now that everything has been laid out on the table for them, it’s up to them what the outcome will be. I would ensure that as a manager I am available to assist when needed but can no longer accept the performance and behavior that is currently being displayed.


Reference: Cahn, D.D. & Abigail, R.A. (2011). Managing Conflict Through Communication. 4th Edition. Pearson Education, Inc. Boston, MA.

 

4 comments:

  1. Shelly,
    I find your blog very appealing for a number of reasons and I will share those with you now to encourage more of what you are already doing.
    The purpose of your blog seems to be very similar to my own and that is to celebrate just how far great communication can take you in life both personally and professionally. As it turns out, we have titled our blog the same and I feel you’re your title represents everything that follows it quite well.
    The design is simple and understated while being powerful because of the strong color and border you have used. It is easy to navigate and the white writing really pops off the page from that beautiful red background.
    The content of your blog is very well written and I particularly liked how you have used the title of the writing assignment and have given the reader the scenario so they have a point of reference. I will most definitely be stealing this idea for my own blog.
    The audience for your blog appears to be anyone who has an interest in communication studies and those who may need to learn some of the basic ‘tools’ that are used commonly in communications.
    I will continue to explore your blog because you have made it so user friendly and your point of view is informative and lovely to read. Thank you for your great work.
    Beth McRaven
    http://bethmcraven.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shelly,

    The red color you have chosen gives a very strong first impression that you are outgoing and aggressive. If this is not what you want to convey, I would soften it a little. I would also make the print a bit larger for ease of reading.

    If you go to your dashboard and click on Layout, at the top in small print you'll see "Template Designer". If you click on this is will bring up an advanced area for template design where you can change a lot of the features of your blog including background, width, and layout. At the bottom of the column is a topic for "Advanced". If you click that it will open up options for changing the font, type size, and color of everything from your background, to your post area, to your fonts, menu items, and sidebars.

    You really can customize these blogs to the max.

    Your G+ connection in the sidebar is a definite plus. I would add a subscription option, for either email or RSS or both, and a search bar will make finding topic specific posts a lot easier.

    Finally, I don't see all of the posts that we were supposed to put up posted on your blog yet. You can also post assignments from previous classes to help fill it out for prospective employers.

    Good luck with the rest of class and happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelly, I like the layout of your blog. You definitely have a knack of this blog thing. It has nice, clean format. The white font with the red looks great. I would probably change the font. For your profile I would add more information, maybe a contact link. I am more familiar with wordpress, so I’m still learning the way with blogger. Great job so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shelly,

    Again, like the other blogs that I have commented on, your design is simple, easy to use and easy to navigate. From my research, and personal choice, simplicity is exactly what you should want. And then, from a personal perspective, I personally do not like the white lettering against the colored background. Now, that’s just me; there’s something about the letters and the white light; they blur and then it becomes difficult to keep reading. But I did, and I like your content. It’s well done and I like the points that you make.

    Also, I noticed that our blogs have some things in common. For instance, I you have not made any moves to link the site with tags, Google or LinkedIn, or other SEO and networking tools. I have to research the subject more, and have been, but don’t really have a full grasp on it yet . . . but I will in time. And again, as I told Chris, I’m not comfortable critiquing something I am not very good at myself. I’m seriously learning the blogging technology as we move along trying to learn something from each of our classmates.

    ReplyDelete